Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Photography equipment is NOT, (always), disposable

As I sit here writing this, I am awaiting a lens that I know isn't functioning correctly, but which I am fairly confident that I can fix... fairly confident.
I have a theory. My theory is that if it was built by human hands, then it can be fixed by human hands and more specifically... it can be fixed by MY human hands!
Now, that theory hasn't always panned out, but many times it has and many times the very fact that I am willing to tear into a mechanical device and try to fix it has saved me a lot of money. 
To date these are the project that I have undertaken successfully:

I have rebuilt a 28-55mm lens
I have changed the LCD screen in a Sony a5000
I have taken apart and repaired a Canon ElanII broken film door latch
I have taken apart and cleaned the dust/mold out of a 2x teleconverter

I will post the links to  three of these undertakings, (the fourth wasn't recorded), and show you my hillbilly technique. 

My advice is to never throw anything out that could be used if functioning properly. Try to fix it. You might find that it isn't as hard to repair as you think. However, you might find out it's completely beyond your skillset to do so. I have done both.






1 comment: